Did You Know?
The Town of Canmore has an Environmental Sustainability Action Plan (ESAP). Its goal for waste: By 2035, to reduce total municipal solid waste land filled by 62% per-capita from 2008 levels (300 kg/person/year). You can help by reducing, reusing, and recycling.
Garbage and Recycling in Canmore
Canmore is home to both black bears and grizzly bears. Due to wildlife concerns (see a great YouTube video!) there is no community curbside pick-up of household garbage or recycling in Canmore. Garbage is placed in neighbourhood animal-proof bins, while recycling is taken to one of several community drop-off locations.
Household garbage is to be bagged and taken to one of approximately 200 neighbourhood animal-proof bins. Do not leave any materials outside of bin. Make sure the bin is properly latched closed when you leave. Additional garbage disposal information.
The Town of Canmore installed a neighbourhood blue bin system to make recycling easier. These recycling bins are placed beside the neighbourhood garbage bin.
The blue recycle bins separate recyclables in 3 easy categories:
- Mixed Paper
- Plastic and Metal
There are two permanent recycling drop-off locations.
Permanent Recycling Locations (for metal food cans, glass, cardboard and box board, mixed paper, newsprint and magazines, plastic):
- Boulder Depot at 115 Boulder Crescent in Elk Run Industrial park (additional recycling options), open 8 am – 5 pm, 7 days a week.
- Save-On-Foods Depot at 950 Railway Avenue located at Canmore Crossing, open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to Recycle in Canmore
Find out what can be recycled in Canmore.
For a Bow Valley Wide Quick Reference Guide on Recycling (Canmore, Banff and the M.D. of Bighorn)
- Canmore Bottle Depot: Refundable beverage containers – aluminum cans, glass bottles, plastic bottles, tetra-paks, milk jugs and cartons. Open 9:30 am – 4:30 pm, Tuesday – Saturday (closed Sunday & Monday).
- Boulder Depot, Sobeys Depot, all neighborhood recycling bins and recycling trailers: mixed paper, plastic and metal, glass
The following additional materials can be recycled at the Boulder Depot:
- Used oil and glycol (antifreeze) products and containers
- Automotive batteries
- Rechargeable/non-rechargeable batteries
- Bicycle tires
- Fluorescent light tubes and ballast
- Household hazardous waste including bear spray
- eWaste – personal computers, monitors, towers, keyboards, printers, scanners, fax machines, televisions, stereo equipment, cell phones, pagers, kitchen appliances, chargers, cables, adapters, power bars etc.
Additional Garbage and Recycling Info
Special programs: for more info visit the Town of Canmore website.
- Large item clean up (call 403-678-1580 to arrange to have items picked up at your home): Acceptable Items: old furniture, White Goods i.e. stove & dryer, fridge (doors removed), mattresses etc. Unacceptable Items include: Tires, propane tanks, commercial waste, construction, renovation & demolition waste, hazardous waste, automotive parts & automotive batteries, recyclables.
- Leaf/yard, scrub/brush, pumpkins, Christmas trees (seasonal drop offs and sometimes additional locations)
- Dry waste – for a fee – construction, renovation and demolition waste, tires, asphalt, concrete, appliances, cardboard, concrete, metal, pressure treated wood, scrub and brush. Take to Francis Cooke Landfill.
- Residential toxic round-up (twice a year) – paints, pesticides & herbicides, cleaners, aerosols, solvents, poisons and flammables can be dropped off for proper disposal.
- Organics/Compost – Outdoor composting in the Town of Canmore is not permitted as it attracts wildlife into the residential areas of town increasing the chance of dangerous encounters. Instead, organics must be included in the waste collection system or by setting up an indoor composter or garburator.
- Flying Pigs Curbside Recycling – for a fee – Commercial and Residential Pickup.
Where to take/get reusable items in Canmore:
Shop or donate to Crossways (Victory) Community Thrift Store
For buying or selling outdoor gear, check out Switching Gear Sports Consignment
The Re-Use It Centre in Banff
Donate books (except textbooks) to Canmore Public Library
- Items for arts and crafts, electronics, furniture and office equipment
- Paper for drawing, good quality white cardboard, office supplies
- Used books for annual book sales
- Rundle Mountain Bike Swap
- Canmore Nordic Ski Club Ski Swap
- Banff Alpine Racers Ski Swaps
- Community Garage Sales (notices in local papers and neighbourhoods)
- Canmore Buy and Sell
- Bow Valley Buy, Sell, Give, Take
- Lake Louise Buy, sell, Trade
- Banff Buy and Sell
- Canmore-Banff Buy and Sell
- Bow Valley Kids Stuff Buy and Sell
- Banff Food Rescue
- The Canmore Gear Loft
- Bow Valley Women’s Clothing Swap
- Bow Valley Freecycle (donate or pick up free items)
- Kijiji Banff/Canmore (buy or sell items)
Thanks to Christian Dubois, Christopher Vincent and Charlie Bredo for all their help in preparing the materials.